Community Forum

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Community Forum » Problems with the Forum » Search not working

Search not working

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

Hi there!

I cant seem to get the search to work properly on my new forum. The "Author search" works fine, and returns all posts/topics by the selected author. But the "Keyword search" does not work at all, and simply returns a "Your search returned no hits" message.

Is there something that I should be setting up for the search to work?

UPDATE - I've gone over every option & setting, and there's nothing in the admin section that could interfere with the search, or cause it to not work.

The forum I'm having trouble with is on the forum.cool domain. I also created another test forum on the mybb.rocks domain, and the search does not work on that one either.

However, I visited another forum on the mybb.rocks domain, and the search works just fine there. So I contacted the admin of that forum, who says he didn't have to do anything to make the search work.

I've tested in several different browsers & browser configurations, but the search on my forums simply does not work.

So I'm at a loss here and would appreciate any help or guidance anyone can provide.

Buzzer
Hello,
May I have a link to your forum?
If there's a problem, I'll contact @Admin as he's the only one who can solve it.

C3La-NS wrote:

Buzzer
Hello,
May I have a link to your forum?
If there's a problem, I'll contact @Admin as he's the only one who can solve it.

Oh, silly me, of course I forgot to include a link.  %-)

Here it is: http://nn.forum.cool/

Thanks!

Last edited by Buzzer (2017-01-28 21:53:20)

Buzzer
Just tested it myself. I confirm the problem. Will notify the head admin.

C3La-NS
Thank you.

Hello Buzzer,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

This is because by default search is disabled on erotic forums.

On Monday, we will solve the problem.
Thank you.

+1

Admin wrote:

Hello Buzzer,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

This is because by default search is disabled on erotic forums.

On Monday, we will solve the problem.
Thank you.

Excellent news, thank you!

So I can confidently continue setting things up, add more content and start spreading the word?

It wouldn't make any sense at all to launch a new forum without a working search feature.   :crazyfun:

I've also noticed that there appears to be no way to search in topics, like in most forums.

Is that also a restriction placed on this type of forum?

Or is it a feature that is simply not available on this platform?

Buzzer wrote:

I've also noticed that there appears to be no way to search in topics, like in most forums.

What do you mean by that?  :)

C3La-NS wrote:

What do you mean by that?  :)

Most forums will have a search box at the top of each thread so you can limit your search to only the thread you're looking at. It might look different from one forum to another, but it's almost always there:

https://img.yt/upload/small/2017/01/29/588e69e8c22f0.jpg
https://img.yt/upload/small/2017/01/29/588e69e8bb98c.jpg

Buzzer
I see now. I've never come across such a request before. And I'm not sure if it's possible to make with JavaScript. Probably I should ask one of our developers.

If it can be added in, that would be great! It's very handy when you have long threads with a lot of content.

Buzzer
Good news!
Your forum is indexed. Please note that new posts will be indexed with a maximum delay of up to 30 minutes.

Buzzer wrote:

Most forums will have a search box at the top of each thread so you can limit your search to only the thread you're looking at. It might look different from one forum to another, but it's almost always there:

https://img.yt/upload/small/2017/01/29/ … 8c22f0.jpg
https://img.yt/upload/small/2017/01/29/ … 8bb98c.jpg

Unfortunately, the search in a specific topic is not yet implemented. in the future we will try to add this feature.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Thank you.

Admin wrote:

Buzzer
Good news!
Your forum is indexed. Please note that new posts will be indexed with a maximum delay of up to 30 minutes.

Excellent news indeed! Thank you very much.  :cool:

I still see several topics in one of the sections that are still not showing in search results when they should, so I'm guessing they just haven't yet been indexed. Likely, when your script does its next pass, they will be.

I've just added a new topic with the same keywords as the ones that aren't showing up to test that theory, lol.

If things still aren't working quite right in a few hours, I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

Buzzer
We have fixed indexing posts containing only images without text.
Please check again that everything in place :)

Admin wrote:

Buzzer
We have fixed indexing posts containing only images without text.
Please check again that everything in place :)

I just tested by making some new gallery posts (I didn't think to mention yesterday that the ones not showing in search results only had images in them... oops).

And yep, confirmed: everything seems to be working fine now.

New posts do indeed take about 25-30 minutes to appear in search results. But that's a small price to pay for a free forum platform. So, thank you!

And - off-topic - I love the cool bookmark feature!  :glasses:

+2

You are here » Community Forum » Problems with the Forum » Search not working