Community Forum

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Community Forum » Questions on Forum Design » Customize the "System of relations"

Customize the "System of relations"

Posts 1 to 8 of 8

It would be cool to be able to customize the term that is used in the "System of relations". For example, I would prefer it to be a "Thanks" or "Like" system instead of a "Respect" system. Currently, members add respect to a member when they like a post.

Is there a simple way to change all instances of the word "respect" in all templates to either "thanks" or "like"? Perhaps a variation of the code provided by Alex_63 in this post: CSS Tricks

Buzzer wrote:

It would be cool to be able to customize the term that is used in the "System of relations". For example, I would prefer it to be a "Thanks" or "Like" system instead of a "Respect" system. Currently, members add respect to a member when they like a post....

More easily understood by social network users with terms: like n dislike...  and this has become a common system used to express likes or dislikes....

Personally, I prefer to use the like system

Buzzer wrote:

It would be cool to be able to customize the term that is used in the "System of relations". For example, I would prefer it to be a "Thanks" or "Like" system instead of a "Respect" system. Currently, members add respect to a member when they like a post.

Is there a simple way to change all instances of the word "respect" in all templates to either "thanks" or "like"? Perhaps a variation of the code provided by Alex_63 in this post: CSS Tricks

I'll write the code on the weekend, if not please remind me.

C3La-NS wrote:

I'll write the code on the weekend, if not please remind me.

Excellent, thanks!  :cool:

C3La-NS
Oops, looks like we both forgot about this one.  o.O

Would still like it though, if you're up for it. :)

Last edited by Buzzer (2017-05-17 09:59:18)

Already tried several times but not working

Code:
    <script><!--it does not work any more. -->
    function Univer—hange(selektor,changed,substitute){
    $(selektor).each(function(){if ($(this).parent().html()!=null){if($(this).parent().html().indexOf(changed)!=-1){
    $(this).parent().html($(this).parent().html().replace(changed,substitute));};};});}

Univer—hange(".pa-respect a [href^='/respect.php?']","Respect","What we change"); //

</script>

or

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
var nWRD=" Your Word";
function setRespecNew(){
$(".post .pa-respect a [href^='/respect.php?']").each(function (){
$(this).html(nWRD);});}
function TestRespect(){
if($(".post .pa-respect:contains('Reputation')").length){setRespecNew();return;
}else {timerID = setTimeout("TestRespect()",110);return;}
}TestRespect()
</script>

or

Code:
    <script><!--IT DOES NOT WORK. -->
    $(selektor).each(function(){if ($(this).parent().html()!=null){if($(this).parent().html().indexOf(changed)!=-1){
    $(this).parent().html($(this).parent().html().replace(changed,substitute));};};});}

Univer—hange(".pa-respect","RESPECT","REPUTATION");
    Univer—hange("The selector, What we change, What we change"); //tested

</script>

Buzzer wrote:

that is used in the "System of relations". For example, I would prefer it to be a "Thanks" or "Like" system instead of a "Respect" system. Currently, members add respect to a member when they like a post.
Is there a simple way to change all instances of the word "respect" in all templates to either "thanks" or "like"? Perhaps a variation of the code provided by Alex_63

Hello  :flag:
I found a good javascript code, it's easy to install and to replace everything you need:

Add to HTML-footer.

<script><!--Universal substitution. -->
Univer—hange(".pa-respect a","Respect","Thanks");
Univer—hange(".main.multipage h1 span","Users respect to","Thanks to");
</script>

It will substitute red section with blue one. Please customize according to your needs.

http://imgur.com/hSx9gSC.png
On topic page in profile section

http://imgur.com/1bavhRI.png
/respect.php?id= USER ID

As I mentioned this script is easy to use and you can replace every part of you forum (though don't forget that it's based on JavaScript which is not very fast tool to use).

Univer—hange("SELECTOR","WHAT IS REPLACED","NEW TEXT");

Use your browser embedded console to find out the necessary selector

Added after 28 minutes 27 seconds:
I see Kami mentioned this script, but selectors were not specified correctly.

C3La-NS
Yup, that works like a charm, even to change the sorting option in the userlist.

Thanks a ton!  :cool: